Sunday, September 12, 2010

Twins- 11 weeks 5 days:

Friday August 27th, Alex, Will, and I went to one of the local high school football games to see one of our youth group guys play. We got to the school, stopped by the concession stand to get some popcorn and drinks, and then scouted out a good seat in the stands. We had been sitting there for only 10 minutes or so when I suddenly felt like I started my period or had peed my pants a little.

I remember reading that it was common to have some bladder issues during pregnancy, so I was sitting there trying to figure out what was going on and if I was going to be majorly embarrassed when I stood up. Finally I had a feeling like something wasn't right, and decided I needed to go check things out. I was really worried that people could see something on my jeans, but I didn't have any choice, and I also had no clue where the bathrooms were.

When I finally found the bathroom, I realized that I was bleeding, bright red blood, and it was pretty heavy, like a regular period. I knew something wasn't right and I immediately assumed I was having a miscarriage. As I left the bathroom I called Alex and told him that we needed to leave and he met me at the gate.

I called our OBGYN's office, and got the other doctor in his practice through the answering service because he was on call that weekend. I didn't have any pain, and Dr. Lang said to call if it got worse or I started experiencing pain. I was not happy with that answer at all. By the time we got home the bleeding got even heavier, and had some clots in it. So I called the doctor back, and at that point he told me to go ahead over to the ER to get checked out. A former youth group student came over to stay with Will, who was already in bed, and Alex and I made our way to the ER where our doctor was which was about 40 minutes away.

We got there about 9:00p.m. and it was almost midnight before I got to go back to a room. Everything they did that night took forever. If someone would leave the room, it would take at least 45 minutes until someone came back and we went through the next step of the process. We ended up going for an ultrasound, which showed that both babies were fine. (Thank God!) Before I had gone for the ultrasound, I passed a pretty big clot, about the size of what my babies would have been at that time, and I was really scared that it was a baby.

After receiving a pelvic exam in the ER, while some crazy guy two rooms down from me was tasered twice and hit with a bean bag gun, we finally found out that I was bleeding from a subchorionic hemorrage in my uterus. No one really could explain what that was, and the ER doctor told me that I had to go on complete bed rest and see my obgyn as soon as possible.

Thankfully when I went to see my OBGYN on Monday, he said that he was not going to put any restrictions on me and that I would be able to continue caring for Will. He didn't really explain what was going on very well, other than just saying something like "sometimes women just bleed". That isn't really comforting to hear, because I know there is a cause for whats going on. The truth is that I can't really do anything to make it bleed more or less, or to make it go away or get worse. We just have to wait and see what will happen.

When we were coming home from the ER, thinking that I may have to be on bed rest for a really long time, I was really struggling with not being able to care for Will. I hope that during this pregnancy things will go well enough that I will not have to be on bed rest because it would be really hard not to be able to do things for Will.

Tomorrow I go for a 14 week appointment. I have a lot of questions to ask, and I am kind of hoping that I could have an ultrasound tomorrow, but I don't think that is really going to happen. It sounded like he was going to wait until we got to the 18 week mark when we do the full scan ultrasound.

No comments:

Post a Comment