When we were pregnant with Will I went to the doctor as soon as I found out we were pregnant, (somewhere around 4 weeks) and we had a scary first visit because my HcG levels weren't high enough to produce a positive result on their urine test. So, initially our doctor though we were miscarrying. Thankfully a blood test I had that day gave us a positive result, and well, the rest is history!
This time, I thought maybe I should wait a while before scheduling my first appointment. I had been thinking that maybe I would like to try to have a VBAC for our second pregnancy so I wasn't planning on going back to Sycamore Shoals in Elizabethton, even though we really liked the hospital and our doctor. (they will not allow VBACs there). I had read that the hospital is Bristol would, so I scheduled an appointment with a doctor in Bristol who I read would allow women to try VBAC.
When I went for my first initial visit I had a mini meltdown because I learned that it was a teaching practice and that the doctor I wanted was on a rotation of supervisors and would not actually be my doctor. I started crying because I was overwhelmed remembering all of the complications and issues we had surrounding Will's birth, and ultimately decided that this was not the practice for me.
So I had my first visit with Dr.Green (our former OBGYN) August 8th. We felt really good about things from our visit and felt that we had made the right choice to return, although I would have loved to try for a vaginal birth. My pregnancy test came back positive so we were over the first hurdle! Dr. Green scheduled us to come back two weeks later for an ultrasound. Later that week, we headed up to Ohio for a family reunion, and announced to our families that we were expecting again!
Two weeks later, the Friday before Will's first birthday we had our first ultrasound. Now, I had been feeling VERY tired and was experience "morning" sickness at random times through out the day pretty regularly. So I knew this pregnancy was going to be different. I thought that it was either going to be a girl, or twins because I have several things that increase my chance to have twins.
I did not expect to be right, we are having TWINS! Alex and I were both prepared somewhat for the possibility but we didn't really think it would be a reality. Not only are we having twins, but we are having identical twins (unless they are boy girl). They share the same amniotic sac and a placenta. So they will most likely be two girls or two boys. (I am hoping for girls, but I would love boys too).
I really feel blessed to be having twins this time around because our first birth experience was a little traumatic, and we wanted a larger family, so this allows us to have a larger family with less birth experiences. Also, I feel blessed that we already have one beautiful baby, so we aren't as overwhelmed with the thought of caring for a child, but only having to do twice the work.
I think it is going to be the biggest adventure of our lives, raising our children, and I am so excited for the twins arrival.
No comments:
Post a Comment