Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Changes

I have decided that one of the main reasons I am so terrible at blogging is that I never actually blog. Usually my entries read more like a diary than anything interesting for anyone but my parents/friends to read (which most of them probably have no clue or time to read this).

So, I would really like to switch gears and start to actually BLOG.

I'm trying to come up with some ideas of what would be good to write about. Things that would challenge me and help me grow. So far what I've come up with are three things... Sweat, Sweets, and Scripture.

I want to be a healthier person spiritually and physically.

My goal is to try to keep my blog entries focused on a challenge to read scripture daily, learning to become a "clean" eater, and pushing myself to past my physical limitations.

I have been influenced by several books, one being Mastering Your metabolism by Jillian Michals (trainer) from the biggest loser. There are many things that I am reading in her book that are not news to me, but I don't think I was ready to hear the message until now.

One being how toxic and harmful Diet Soda is to our bodies, I say lightly as I think about polishing of the last diet pepsi cube in my fridge, and the 8 pack of diet coke bottles I got to take with us to the teen convention because I can't live without it. I am so addicted to it, and it doesn't feel right that something like a carbonated beverage can have control over me like this. I truly can say that I am an addict. I've been drinking diet soda now for almost 12 years. I remember panicking when we went to Cuba because I was afraid of not being able to have it. They didn't end up having diet coke, but they did have a regular version, Tu Cola, that I had several of during our trip. I've got to break away from it.

Also, I have not really been very receptive to the whole organic food movement until recently. I am concerned about the pesticides in the produce we buy, and my biggest concern is all of the hormones that are pumped into the meat and dairy products that we buy on a regular basis. I want to become a clean eater, and learn how to cook and eat simple foods and try to eliminate processed foods out of our diet. The biggest trick will be doing this on a low grocery budget.

I have yet to start any of these endeavors, but I plan to start in the near future. I am also thinking about starting to make my own cleaning products too, I know a couple of my blogger friends are already doing this. Your thoughts/suggestions are gladly welcomed!

3 comments:

  1. We have done a vinegar/water mixture for cleaning products and I don't mind it, but Brandon cannot tolerate the smell. His breaking point was one afternoon when he came home and I had scrubbed the kitchen floor with the vinewater solution. It smelled all evening. He never said "You have to stop with the vinewater" but I figured for the sake of my marriage, I would find something else. Now I have a PineSol-water mixture that I use on the floors.

    The laundry detergent was easy to make and I was pleased to come home from TN on Sunday to find that Brandon had done a load of laundry with the homemade stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the floors I got a shark steam mop for Christmas, so I wont need any cleaner for that. I'm no sure I could bring myself to do a vinegar thing either. Although I have seen people using it in spray bottles for counters and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M SO JEALOUS OF YOUR SHARK STEAM MOP!!!!

    I want one baaaaaaad. I will be looking on CraigsList or I might break down and just get one.

    ReplyDelete