I have to admit, The Prayer of Jabez did not have as profound of an impact on my life at the time as Bruce Wilkinson's other book, Secrets of the Vine. However, I do remember praying the prayer of Jabez along with other members of the choir as Dr. Deakins read from it during the week for devotional times.
"Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain."
At the time, I had no idea what I was asking for when I prayed the simple prayer. But it came to mind last night, specifically the request that God would enlarge my territory. I certainly have moved around a lot since graduation from high school. In the past eight years God has led me to Grayson and Lexington, KY, to Muncie, IN and to Bristol, TN. (not to mention all of the camps and churches we visited with the outreach team during college)From all of these places I have somehow managed to make connections with several Christians and non Christians, whom which I have now been reconnected with via Facebook. When I think about facebook, and the 420-something "friends" I am connected too, I see that my prayer has been answered.
Facebook has provided all of its subscribers with a way to enlarge their territory in ways that the apostle Paul could never imagine. I'd like to think that if facebook was around in Paul's day his friend list would be through the roof. When I read the beginning and ends of his letters, I know that he would definitely be leaving comments of encouragement to his friends' status updates.
I hear a lot of people complain about how they don't want to write pointless stuff and status updates, and thus give facebook a bad rap. But, for me a status update is like casting a line... you never know who's going to bite, and what conversations could simple off that simple statement. But most important, I love to be able to respond to the everyday lives of people whom I have been reunited with thru facebook. I think facebook can be a really awesome gift if we allow God to be a part of our posting and commenting.
What an awesome way to look at Facebook!
ReplyDeleteI was so shocked by the people who were reading my updates throughout pregnancy and Miles's early days -- people from high school, people I didn't really even consider myself close friends with.
I've also used Facebook (actually maybe it was MySpace) to apologize to a few people I was a jerk to in high school. Just a quick note to say "I was really stupid in high school and I know I didn't treat you as well as you deserved. I'm sorry for that and I hope you forgive me. I'm a different person now."
Facebook has its annoyances, but I give it the thumbs up.
BTW -- I had trouble posting a comment on your blog too. Sometimes on Jen's blog I'll click on Preview first and it takes me to the captcha verification part. Otherwise I just get an error message. That's what I tried here and it worked! Must just be a Blogger thing.
ReplyDeleteThere are several "I'm sorry I was such an idiot" messages I need to send to people on facebook... Now all I need to do, is muster up the courage to do it!
ReplyDelete