Friday, January 7, 2011


(me at 30.5 weeks)

This morning when our high risk doctor and a small group of residents came in during their rounds I finally asked some good questions that I have had but never remember to ask.

The first was in regard to the twin type. When we first found out we were having twins, our doctor said that they were mono/di twins (meaning that they shared one outer chorionic sac, but each had their own amniotic sac) which would make them identical because they would share a placenta. However since I came here, Dr. Welt kept saying that they were di/di meaning two completely separate sacks with two placentas. I really wanted to have a better idea because if they were mono/di twins, it would seem like the water would have broken on both babies or just around the chorionic sac.

So because I asked this great question, they went back and discussed my charts and determined they wanted to do an ultrasound in my room to look at it. Unfortunately the ultrasound was inconclusive. It looks like I have either one big placenta that they share, or the two placentas have fused together. Unfortunately we wont be able to know for sure until after they are born and they can examine the placenta.

It does make a difference what they are because if they are mono/di (identical) that means they are sharing a placenta, so if one is exposed to an infection, they both will be exposed to it because of the shared placenta. So if that is the case, it would probably be better for me to deliver at 34 weeks rather than waiting another two weeks. But if they are di/di (fraternal) the baby whose water is not broken does not have the same risks for infection and will face more problems with breathing if born at 34 weeks, so it would be better to wait till 36 if possible.

Crazy stuff!

The other question I had was about induction, because with Will I was induced at 38 weeks and the pitocin did not have an effect on me. My doctor said that every pregnancy is different and that it was actually pretty unlikely that I was resistant to the pitocin. What happened when I was induced with Will is that they probably did not give me a high enough dosage to get me to go into labor (probably because of the blood pressure issues I was facing at the time). So, hopefully my bp will stay under control over the next few weeks. Also, I may have a better chance at having a successful induction if needed because my water has already broken for one baby and they will probably be smaller.

Anyway, I thought some of you may enjoy reading this kind of update. Everything is still going ok. This weekend is going to be tough. Alex is taking the youth group to the Tennessee Christian Teen Convention in Gatlinburg this weekend, and my sister Becky will be taking care of Will. I think they will get to come visit me tomorrow. Sunday will be rough though because I most likely wont have any visitors. Alex got me a nice supply of DVDs to watch, so hopefully that will keep me busy!

Please keep praying for us. And if you are looking for ways to help gas and food cards are the best way to help us with our schedule and all the driving Alex has been doing. Things can be sent to me in the hospital (Johnson City Medical Center room 1519) or to our house 2627 Broad Street, Bristol, TN 37620. Thank you to everyone who has been praying for us and sent us cards and support! We are so blessed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment